Though India is developing in a fast track mode in many sectors like space science, health care etc. we still lag behind in many aspects. One of the major lagging differences compared to other developed countries is digitalization of government processes. Digitalization of government companies will not only improve the services and comforts of citizens but also save time and reduce the corruption.
To overcome this big hurdle, Our Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, has taken an initiative called Digital India that would lead India to the new edge and era of digital world. These initiatives will act as bridge in communication between government and citizens. And it will also bring up transparency of the government procedures. In solution to above discussion, PMO has conceptualized to launch various mobile applications in collaboration with various software development companies in India for the same.
Here few government mobile applications are listed below:
- Sanskriti App:
- It focuses on Indian ‘Sanskriti’-Culture.
- It provides all the details about the events organized by government to promote Indian culture in various fields including Music, Dance, Theatre, Exhibition, Film Shows, Lectures and Others
- My Clean India:
- This application has the roots in the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ launched by GOI to facilitate clean India campaign.
- Citizens have to put the pictures of the place when uncleaned and after cleaning to show their contribution.
- Digital India:
- It helps people to track/enquire about the status of various applications submitted by them.
- It also facilitates in checking the authenticity of certificates issued to citizens.
- Aadhaar Enrollment Status:
- Aadhaar card is one of the core program launched by GOI to provide the identification to every individual uniquely.
- This mobile application helps users to track their status of their ‘Aadhaar’ application.
- Voter Information Search:
- This app is intended for those users who want to know whether his/her name has been included in the electoral roll of the constituency.
- User can also find out the polling station he/she has been allocated to.
- Vaccination Alerts:
- As a part of GOI effort towards healthy India, it has launched an app to provide vaccination alerts for the kids under the age of 5 years.
- Under this program, alerts are sent to the parents of the children’s whose vaccination date is due.
- mPassport Seva:
- In an effort to make the passport services more reliable, convenient and transparent, GOI has taken an initiative.
- Under this initiative GOI has developed a mobile app- mPassport Seva and has establishedPassport Seva Kendras (PSK) across India.
- Users can track their passport status, can apply for a new passport, info about renewal of passport, and can locate nearest PSK.
- Indian Income tax Refund Status:
- This app is intended to help users to get the update of their Income Tax Refund Status.
- Without having to physically visit the Income tax office every time to track their status, this app has proven to be beneficial to the users in tracking the status and thus in saving time.
Government mobile applications are key initiatives of Digital India Program. It is a visionary project of our Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, to lead India to the new era of digital world. These mobile applications are developed by mobile application development companies in India. These mobile applications will build digitized world and thus saving lot of time and energy of common people.
Corruption is a burning issue in India. One of the major sections involved in heavy corruption is ground level government procedures. The main reason behind this is a clumsy and cumbersome Physical paperwork. The Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, has a far-sighted vision to lower corruption at maximum possible level. After a number of meetings and suggestions with core committees, they have decided to develop a concept of one web feasibility.
In the era of smart phone, building a mobile application would be an innovative and long-sighted decision. The name of this visionary project would be UMANG (Unified Mobile Application for New-Age Governance). This step is one of the dream projects of our Prime Minister.
Indian government has conceptualized to build “Mother of all apps” known as UMANG with an aim to integrate major central and state government services under a single platform. The Narendra Modi government is working towards building this master app in collaboration with Mobile Application Development Company in India. This application would lead India to the new edge and era of paperless governance.
Working of UMANG:
The visionary project of Narendra Modi is being developed by the union ministry of communications and information technology’s national e-governance decision. This dream app will integrate more than 200 government services such as healthcare applications, E-post, Passport Seva, Women Safety (Nirbhaya), IRCTC, Utility bills, Crime and criminal tracking, CBSE/State education boards, Income tax, Mother and child tracking etc. on a single platform.
The platform will be designed in such a manner that it would be capable of maintaining or remembering citizen personal details, preferences and data required to access department services without the user having to re-enter every time. Key identification documents like Aadhar Card, PayGov and DigiLocker shall also be included within this platform.
Features of UMANG app:
The app will be designed in collaboration with Web Development Company in India in such a way that it will keep record of citizen personal and preference details required to access the department service.
- The app will be available for various operating systems including windows, Android and iOS.
- Documents such as Aadhar card, PayGov and DigiLocker also are a part of this platform.
- The app will have transaction details so that users can reach to the concerned authorities if in case anything goes wrong.
- Citizens can store their documents in the secure government cloud using DigiLocker.
- Users can share the digital certificates through the app. Thus, they need not visit the departments physically.
- Aadhar card authentication will be enabled for services and PAN card authentication for non-aadhar enabled services.
- Live Chat support will be enabled for citizen’s assistance.
- The app will be available in English as well as in regional languages.
Launch of UMANG:
The government has uploaded a 207 paged proposal document of the app on the Department of Electronics and Information Technology website to invite potential agencies for the app development and maintenance. According to the document, the plan is to roll out the first phase of the app in under 3 years.
UMANG is one of the key initiatives of Digital India Program. It is a visionary project of our Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, to lead India to the new era of digital world. This dream app will build paperless e-governance system and thus saving lot of time and energy of common people. It also aids lowering corruption at ground level government.
Digital locker is one of the key initiatives under Digital India Program launched by the Prime Minister of India. It is aimed at minimizing the usage of physical documents and enable sharing of e-documents across agencies. It is an online application, developed in collaboration with software development companies in India, which provides facility of online document storage of important documents including Voter ID card, PAN card, Driving license etc.
Everyone needs to have Aadhaar number to use DigiLocker facility. Residents can upload their own electronic documents and digitally sign them using the e-sign facility. All e-documents are linked to Aadhaar number and can be treated as authorized documents by Government and its other entities. Therefore, physical documents need not to be carried while applying for jobs or government certificates or educational institutions etc.
Objectives of DigiLocker:
- Enable digital empowerment of residents by providing them withDigital Locker on the cloud
- Enable e-Signing of documents and make them available electronically and online Minimize the use of physical documents
- Ensure authenticity of the e-documents and thereby eliminate usage of fake documents
- Secure access to Govt. issued documents through a web portal and mobile application for residents
- Reduce administrative overhead of Govt. departments and agencies and make it easy for the residents to receive services
- Anytime, anywhere access to the documents by the resident
- Open and interoperable standards based architecture to support a well-structured standard document format to support easy sharing of documents across departments and agencies
- Ensure privacy and authorized access to residents' data.
Components of DigiLocker:
- Repository: It is a collection of e-Documents which are uploaded by issuers in a standard format and exposing a set of standard APIs for secure real-time search and access.
- Access Gateway: It provides a secure online mechanism for requesters to access e-documents from various repositories in real-time using e-Document URI (Uniform Resource Indicator).
- URI: It is a link to the e-Document uploaded by an issuer in a repository. The gateway will identify the address of the repository where the e-Document is stored based on the URI and will fetch the e-Document from that repository.
Stakeholders of DigiLocker:
- Issuers: Issuer is an entity issuing e-documents to individuals in a standard format and making them electronically available. For example, Registrar office, Income Tax department, RTO, Educational institutions etc.
- Requesters: Requester is an entity requesting secure access to a particular e-document stored in the repository. For example, Employers, Universities, Passport Office etc.
- Residents: An individual who uses the Digital Locker service based on Aadhar and OTP (one time password) authentication.
Digital Locker Portal:
Online portal of digital locker system is developed in collaboration with web development companies in India.
- Dedicated 10MB free personal storage space, linked to each resident's Aadhaar, to securely store e-documents and to store URI link of e-documents for accessing them directly from the repositories.
- Sharing of secured e-documents with requesters.
- Currently accessible via web portal, will be made accessible through mobile application also.
- Integrated e-Sign service to digitally sign documents
How to use DigiLocker :
- Enter Aadhaar Number. After inserting aadhar card id number, an OTP is sent to already registered number and email address.
- Enter OTP and see the DASHBOARD to upload your current documents online.
- After successful of upload process, e-sign the uploaded document, which is used as official digital signature on documents.
DigiLocker is an application that has been developed by software development company in India recently launched by Indian government to store online documents safely. UIDAI adhaar card holder can save online all government issued documents on the cloud storage system of 10MB space. By connected aadhar number users can access these.
Startup India campaign aims at promoting bank financing for start-up ventures to boost entrepreneurship and encourage all start-ups including startups like small software companies in India with jobs creation. The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi had announced the “Start-up India” initiative in his Independence Day speech this year. This initiative aims at boosting entrepreneurship and promoting new ideas by creating an ecosystem that is encouraging for growth of Start-ups. The objective is that India must become a nation of job creators instead of being a nation of job seekers.
A start-up is an entity, private, partnership or limited liability partnership (LLP) firm whose headquarter is in India, which was opened less than five years ago and have a turnover less than Rs. 25 crore annually. To be eligible for considering as start-up, the entity should not be formed by splitting up from any established company and its turnover should not have crossed Rs25 crore during its existence.
(Allonmoney.com, 2016) Benefits given to Startups by Startup India:
- All startups include software development companies startup will be exempted from paying income tax on their income for the first 3 years.
- 80% rebate on filing a patent application.
- Exemption of tax on capital gain.
- Faster patent registration and protection for Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) is provided under the Scheme.
- The government launched a mobile app on 1 April 2016 recently and a web portal that will allow all companies to register in a day.
- Compliance regime based on self-certification
- No inspection for 3 years of start-up businesses in respect of labour, environment law compliance post self-certification
- Easier norms for start-ups to exit within 90 days. Bill will be introduced in the parliament.
Government's role in boosting start-up:
The Ministry of Human Resource Development (HRD) and the Department of Science and Technology have agreed to partner in an initiative to set up over 75 start-up support hubs in the National Institutes of Technology (NITs), the Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs), the Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research (IISERs) and National Institutes of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPERs).
(Allonmoney.com, Startup India Event 2016, 2016) Special Benefits:
- Start-ups in the manufacturing sector are exempted from the criteria of prior experience/ turnover without any relaxation in quality standards or technical parameters in public procurement.
- Income Tax exemption is available for first three years. However, for example, software development startup will be eligible for tax benefits only after obtaining certificate from the Inter-Ministerial Board.
- Rs10,000-crore fund for new enterprises, equal opportunity in government procurement, a Rs500-crore credit guarantee scheme and easier exit norms.
- Japanese Softbank, which had already invested $2 billion in Indian startups, has pledged total investments of $10 billion.
Eligibility for start-up:
- To become eligible as a start-up and get a green signal from the Inter-Ministerial Board, the entity should be the one which aims to develop and commercialise, a new product or service or process or a significantly improved existing product or service or process that will create or add value for customers or workflow.
- To be considered as eligible as start-up the entity, should be supported by an incubator, which is funded from Government of India as part of any specified scheme to promote innovation.
Though startups face difficulties in terms of compliance, taxation regulation with Digital India, as far as the Department of IT is concerned, there is a significant number of VC, funding, and mentorship to support all startups including software outsourcing companies in India.